Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's a Cinch Bag : a tutorial





If you've been following since way back in June (pretty much the beginning of my blogging days), you may remember this post. If you read it then you see that this bag was completely inspired by Dana's bag over at MADE. I fell in love with it, and did my best to come up with my own version.

Somehow this bag became my most requested tutorial. I always told anyone who asked, that I didn't feel comfortable writing up a tutorial for a bag that wasn't my own inspiration. But I'm one of those people that has a hard time saying no. And so I finally had the idea to send Dana an email asking her permission to create a tutorial for my look-a-like bag. Dana, being the awesome lady that she is, said to go for it! And so, long story short this tutorial has been months in the making, and is finally here! 

I really do love this bag. It's one of those that you can just throw anything in. Beach bag, diaper bag, school bag, overnight bag...all of those and more. Mine is perfect for toteing around campus, stuffed with books and binders. 

*Notes*

This tutorial is broken into two parts. This one will you show you how to construct the outer bag portion. I'll link to the coordinating tutorial (that shows you how to add a zippered lining) at the bottom. The materials called for our assuming that you are using both tutorials to construct your bag.

Assume 1/4" seam allowances. 

Fabric- I would recommend using an upholstery weight fabric for at least the straps of this bag. The black fabric that I've used is upholstery cotton. The gray, outer portion of this bag is linen found at Joann. 

Materials:

2/3 yard of the main, outer fabric (gray linen in my case)
1 2/3 yard of the contrasting fabric (black upholstery fabric)
Smaller Zipper(s) for interior pockets (optional)
One 24" Zipper


Tutorial:

Cut fabric as shown below:


Casing/Outer Bag Construction:

The smallest rectangle of your contrasting fabric will be used as the casing. Press about 1/2" down along all sides of both casings. 



Sew in place the short ends of the casing. 


Position the casing onto one of your outer bag pieces as shown below (Right side of outer bag to wrong side of casing) and pin in place. 


Sew only the bottom, long side of the casing to the outer bag. 


You don't want to sew either of the short ends or the top of the casing just yet. Leave it pinned in place as shown:


Repeat with other casing and other outer bag piece.

Now take both outer bag pieces and pin with right sides together. Sew as shown below:


Notice how the casing is not caught up in the seam. That's how you want it at all four ends so that, later, the drawstring can be pulled through. 


Hem the opening of the bag.


Straps:

You should have cut four 31" x 2.5" rectangles to use as your straps. Pair the straps and lay them right sides together. Pin in place. 



Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance as shown. The gap is left so that the strap can later be turned right side out. 


Snip out the extra fabric at all four corners.


Use a (not too sharp) instrument to turn the strap right side out. I like to use the eraser of a pencil. 


It's going to look a little wonky at first..


but give it a good press with the iron and it'll come together



Topstitch all the way around the straps. This will make them look more professional and close that gap up as well. 


This is why we didn't sew the top of the casing earlier. We want the straps to go underneath our casing.  The straps should dip down about a 1/2" below the top of the casing. 



Position and pin straps as shown below:


Sew as shown:





Drawstring:

The lonngg skinny rectangles are going to be the drawstrings for the bag. Take them and fold them in half hot dog style. Pin in place.


Sew as shown below leaving a 4" gap somewhere along one of the long sides so that it can be turned right side out. The angled seam at the short ends gives you a nice little point, if you're into that. 


Turn right side out, press, and top-stitch both drawstrings, just as you did with the straps. 

Now pull the strings through the casing. You can use a large safety pin to help feed it through if needed. 


And just cinch it up! 








You're halfway there. Actually, more than halfway there! Follow this tutorial to add a zippered lining to your bag. You don't have to but, it's going to add so much more stability and practicality to it. Well worth the effort. 







I hope you enjoy! Give me a shout if you have any questions (:

Oh and if this looks a little intense for you but you still love the bag, keep an eye out for the bag I made in this tutorial to be listed in my shop. I just need to add the lining!

....


SHARE:

76 comments

Taylor Basilio said...

Gorgeous! You do such a great job creating tutorials, and I can't wait to make this!

ikaxela said...

Thank you so much... sweety Verbena!

Emily @SweetlyScrapped said...

Love this and what an easy tutorial to follow! Too cute!

Patricia said...

It is a great tutorial. So cute!

Jenn @ What You Make It said...

SO excited you put up this tutorial! I was trying to make it like Dana's, but couldn't find the a couch cushion like the one she used. This looks super easy, and the result is gorgeous!

Jenn

passengerseatperspectives.blogspot.com

Kate said...

LOVE it! :) Thank you so much for making pretty much THE easiest tutorials to follow! :) <3

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting! I just noticed a ring...did you get engaged?! Or have you always had it and I just noticed... :)

Sani said...

bag is great! thanks for tutorial!

Katy said...

Hahah I'm not engaged. I think that picture got flipped at some point making the ring look like it's on my left hand. It's just a little james avery ring!

Jami said...

I'm so happy you did an easy-to-follow-tutorial for this! I can't wait to make one for school! Thanks so much!!

Annie Yang said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I know I'll be making one in the near future! :)

Deni said...

so excited! Can't wait to make my own! Thank you!

{amy k.} said...

this is fabulous! now if i can just be brave enough to pull out my sewing machine and give it a try! thanks for the tutorial!

Sonja said...

Love it! Thank you! If I don't get this made, at least it will hang out on my Pinterest page...thanks again for all of your effort and making this free!

WendyMD said...

Thank you for this. I've been wanting to make a cinch bag for awhile and have been rolling the how to around my head but it wasn't quite clicking. This is waaaay easier than what I was thinking! =o)

Unknown said...

I love this tutorial- thank you so much for the detailed instructions and the pictures!

I'm your newest follower! Stop by and say hello some time!

-Kendall
{songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

Marina said...

Wauw, wauw and wauw!!!
I love this, thank you so mch!

Sylvie Créative - Créations Ma Déco Maison said...

I love it, so cute! Thanks a lot for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

I love this bag! So cute! You have a new follower in me :)

Unknown said...

wow!thanks so much for the tutorial!i will definitely make a bag like this one! :-)
www.vallys-creations.gr

Hanni said...

I have totally felt in love with your giant bag! Aww, it so cool and great tutorial. I must make one for myself!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, this is absolutely stunning! Thanx for sharing the great tutorial, I totally want to make one now!

Natalie
www.projectdowhatyoulove.wordpress.com

Paige said...

Thanks so much for posting this. It will be perfect for some material I already have. Now I just need to find time to make it (I suppose I should finish some of my other projects first)

Paige Sweetin
http://adastra-withherownwings.blogspot.com

Sharla said...

Just made one this weekend. Turned out so cute! Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial! I'm making another one today for my bff

Vero - Feitodelua said...

I love it! I put it on my project list :-)

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!! Thanks :)

Catherine Fishback said...

So cute!!

Catherine
FEST (a new blog about food, style & travel)

Cheap Pillows said...

That's a lovely bag!!! The tutorial is really great!!!

LilBitOfCC said...

This is awesome! Thanks for the tutorial!

Tammy said...

And my to-do list just grew by one more project! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I just finished creating my own cinch bag this week and it turned out great {thanks to your tutorial, not my sewing abilities}. You do so many cute things, I don't know how you find the time!

The nosy pepper said...

What a fabulous tutorial!! I just made one and I love it, I added the lining and it was my first time adding a zipper and it worked!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

Loved this tutorial! Thanks for posting!

Here's a link to my post with my finished bag:
http://beautifulwhatshedoes.blogspot.com/2012/02/project-cinch-bag-complementing-zipper.html

Beth said...

Wow, I really want to have a go at this, both my mum and I want one! It's gorgeous!
Beth
xox

http://dreamsinapoppyfield.blogspot.com/

Chrissy said...

Thanks for posting this!! I just posted a link to this post from my blog. My bag turned out awesome! Thanks again!

kate said...

Can I just buy one from you?? Lol Locke this bag. It's wg
Hat I've been looking for but asking me to sew is like asking me to rebuild a car engine! Great bag though!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love it! It may be just a bit beyond my current level of sewing skills, but I think I'm going to give it a try.

-Alison

Unknown said...

Love this bag, so glad to see there is a tutorial now. Found you on pinterest.
We would love to have you link up at our Sunday Round Up. 3 blogs = 1 party
http://www.heatherlyloves.com/2012/03/sunday-round-up-1_8663.html
xxx,
Heather
Kayla
Rose

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE this bag. It's actually exactly what I have been searching for, without knowing exactly, what I was searching for... ;)
Thank you very much for sharing this great tutorial!
I can't wait to sew this great bag! (Unfortunaltely I will have to wait, because I still have so much to do before)

Cari said...

This bag is so cute! I know I can't make it but am def. interested in buying one!

Bella said...

Arab cultures have given Western cultures many gifts over the years and jelqing is just one of them. This simple technique to increase the length of the penis has been about for thousands of years but it wasn't until recently that people discovered it to increase the lengths of their penises.

http://monsters2012.blogspot.com/
http://bydre2012.blogspot.com/

Kristi said...

Love this tutorial! I have been searching for a diaper bag for my latest baby (#5 and the 3rd in less than 4 years) I need something roomy to carry all the stuff my 3 little ones need when we leave the house and this is perfect! I will be making matching diaper/wipe carriers and a changing pad or two! Fantastic!

Ashley said...

I made something like this the other day after seeing this! My computer is broken so I made up my own measurements. And it turned out great. Thanks for such a wonderful tutorial

Ashley said...

I made something like this the other day after seeing this! My computer is broken so I made up my own measurements. And it turned out great. Thanks for such a wonderful tutorial

Alysha said...

I made this bag- giving it to my mom for Mother's Day! She's gonna love it! Thanks for the awesome tutorial ;-)

jessica said...

I just finished creating my own customised bags this month and will must buy this pag. You have really very pretty bag.

Tressa said...

Love the look of this bag. I made my own bag for my cousin that was inspired by your bag, hope that's okay. I also posted about it in my blog, if you would like me to take it down please let me know and I will do so!!

http://tressaswickedlyingeniousmasterpiece.blogspot.com/

Caroline said...

Hi! I love this!!! May I feature it (and maybe some of your other tutorials) on www.sewcanshe.com? Please drop me a line to let me know: caroline@sewcanshe.com.

Thanks!

Caroline

Tracy King said...

Wonderful tutorial! Very well written and descriptive. Thank you for taking the time to help the world, I appreciate it. This will also be easy to customize which is always a plus :)

Crystal Hendrix said...

Awesome tutorial. Love the good pictures and how you explained it! Good work!!

Stacey said...

LOVE IT! So darn tootin' cute! Thank you!!

Nissa said...

Love this bag!! I went to Dana's blog too and I love that bag too. I guess my next project needs to be making one for myself!! :)
Nissa

Nissa said...

Love the bag!! I went over to Dana's blog and I love her bag too. I guess my next project is to make myself a bag :)
Nissa

Veronica said...

Love this tutorial! Your very talented. =)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and simple bag! Great for toting around my stuff or wrapping a nice gift up in another gift!

Visit us at www.thesitsgirls.com!

Unknown said...

This bag is my inspiration bag for a personal project of mine! I love the fabric your chose :) Your bag is going to be featured in a post of mine going up later today so please come back and visit to see. Thank you for sharing!

http://chevronstitches.blogspot.com

Kika said...

The only thing I did different was to make a "cinch" I wrapped one of the ties all the way through both sides of the casing and then the did the same with the second tie going in the opposite direction so that it would actually "cinch" when pulled . (I'm not sure that is what you meant to do in the tutorial) Great bag!

Kathleen said...

Love this tutorial! I finished my purse today and love it. The changes I made were to use a magnetic snap instead of a zipper, since for some reason the extra 3 seconds it takes to zip up a bag is too much work for me. I also added a perpendicular stitch on the bottom to make a rectangular bottom. Neither adjustment changes that fact that the original pattern is fabulously cute. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

this is so amazing. thank you for sharing!

Jackie said...

This is a totally cute bag. Thanks for sharing your tutorial. My daughter must want to make one because she pinned it for me. :)

Kathy said...

I couldn't wait to make one of these bags and now that it's done, I want to make more.
Here's what my version looks like:
http://sunshinesews.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-cinch-bag.html
Thank you for the great tutorial.

Irina said...

Awesome tutorial. Sharing on Pinterest and Twitter.

Unknown said...

Loved this tutorial! I linked to it in my wedding blog post for DIY Bridesmaid's Gifts http://mavenbride.com/diy-bridesmaid-gift-ideas/
Thank you - Have a great day!

EstheticGoddess said...

I <3 this bag!! It's so cute and easy to make! I shared it on my facebook. https://www.facebook.com/estheticgoddess?ref=hl

Carebear said...

Just made this adorable bag for a Christmas present this year. She's gonna LOVE it!!!

Georgia said...

Hi, I thought you might like to know I used your tutorial to make a bag for a swap on Flickr and have received lots of compliments.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpool_feminist/13014983233/

Thank you!

Georgia (Liverpool Feminist)

Unknown said...

oh goodness, i need a few of these in my life! i checked your shop and don't see anything! do you sell these?

Unknown said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. The tutorial is quite easy to follow.
Im surely gonna make one or several in contrasting colours.
Thanks a lot for sharing.

cdescals said...

So lovely! Here is my cinch bag and the link to your blog. Thank you!

http://www.fetamiques.com/2015/07/bossa-llacada.html

Timi said...

Thank you for the great tuto!!!

Unknown said...

This is great! It's super simple and gives me an idea for a diaper bag. Instead of (or in addition to) the "cinch" I'd do a cinch on the top using the tutorial for the zippered lining and insert elasticized pockets to help keep it organized. I love the colors you used for this tutorial, they look so universal and clean.

Penelope Sanchez said...

I love this idea, Katy! SO creative. Thanks for sharing :)

Penelope
View Website PCX Technologies Fort Myers IT Support Services

Rebeca Paducon said...

ıt ıs a wonderfull working.I liked yor blog very much.I am from Turkey. Ihave got a small blog.I am waiting for you,You can go here layagaga

Delma Hoover said...

I'm grateful that you provided this. I've had the want to create a cinch bag for some time now, but I wasn't exactly sure how to go about it. It's far simpler than I had anticipated. Best web deals at Ford Powerstroke injectors

Shammy Lawrence said...

Best web deals at Black Cloud South Bend Dodge Clutches I appreciate you giving me this. For a while now, I've wanted to make a cinch bag, but I wasn't sure precisely how to approach it. It's much easier than I thought it would be.

Keni San said...

To make it genuinely "cinch" when pulled, I wrapped one tie around the casing completely on both sides and then repeated the process with the second tie going in the other direction. Internet specials at Black Cloud Dodge South Bend Clutches

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger templates by pipdig